SOLD

 

An early 19th c. commercial slipware jug for 'The Cross Foxes' public house. Small barrel-shaped jug with green-grey slipware band, and an applied transfer print coat of arms, featuring two foxes counter salient, surmounted by a sash reading 'Y CADARN AR CYERWYS' - which roughly translates as 'the fort on Caerwys'.

 

Caerwys is a town in Flintshire, an area bordering Wrexham. Above the coat of arms are the letters 'DJ' which was most likely the initials of the owner of the inn. Below the arms is the name of the engraver of the transfer print - Isaac Jones, Wrexham.

 

The jug is in good sound condition with an early 'staple' repaired handle. A very rare piece!

 

The 'Cross Foxes' originates from the family coat of arms of the Williams-Wynn baronetcy. The Williams-Wynn of Wynnstay had for generations enjoyed the pre-eminent rank in the principality of Wales, and were second to none among the Cambrian families in terms of territorial possessions and political influence. At one point, the Williams-Wynn baronets were the largest landowners in Denbighshire and Montgomeryshire.

 

The Cross-Foxes in Erbistock (near Wrexham) was built c.1748 by Sir Watkin Williams-Wynn for his estate workers. Amongst the many other 'Cross-Foxes' public houses is the one at Nannerch (Flintshire), close to Caerwys, and the one at Pentre Broughton (nr. Wrexham).

SOLD - 19th c. creamware pottery jug

SKU: KS7561
£0.00Price
  • Date/period

    c. 1830

  • Dimensions (h)

    12cm

KS7293_IMG_9759_1000px.jpg

Artworks

KS7228_IMG_9774_1000px_edited.jpg

Garden & Salvage

KS7252_IMG_8199_1000px.jpg

Decorative Objects

KS7162_IMG_2963_1000px.jpg

Lighting

KS7016_IMG_7622_1000px.jpg

Furniture

KS7120_IMG_5065_1000px flipped.jpg

Mirrors