An exceptional pine sailor's trunk - possibly one of the best we have had! Original canvas-covered top and handmade copper protective corners, with thick layers of old paintwork. Evidence of previous paint colours include aqua green, blue-black, red, and cream. Internally it still contains its original removable candle and ditty boxes, all constructed in mahogany. The lid features a naively painted rendition of 'HMS Ganges'. Dated 1860. The lock is in working order and comes with a new key.
HMS Ganges was an 84-gun second-rate ship of the royal Navy, launched in 1821. It was the last sailing ship of the Navy to serve as a flagship. HMS Ganges saw action in many locations around the world, including North and South America, and the Mediterranean. In 1865 it returned to England to begin service as a training ship at Mylor Harbour, near Falmouth in Cornwall. She was finally taken out of service in 1923, and broken up at Plymouth in 1930. Several elements of the broken-up ship were salvaged, including the Captain's cabin which got recycled as part of the cocktail bar in Burgh Island Hotel in Devon.
SOLD - Antique maritime seaman's chest - 'HMS Ganges'
Dimensions (h x w x d)
52 x 101 x 52cm