A painted pine trunk with steel-reinforced corners and edging. Sign-written on the front with the original owner's name 'R. COATES', followed by the initials 'R.F.A.' ('Royal Fleet Auxillary'). The R. F. A. was a civilian-manned fleet owned by the Ministry of Defence, first established in 1905 to provide coaling ships for the Navy during a time when ships were increasingly being powered by coal-fired steam engines rather than by sail. Since then the R. F. A. has acted as one of the Royal Navy's main source of logistical support in the many conflict it has been involved in, including WWII and The Falklands War.
The box is in good condition and has been waxed externally. The inside is nice and clean.
NOW SOLD - Antique naval sailor's pine trunk
Early 1900s (Edwardian)
Dimensions (h x w x d)
36 x 78 x 46cm