An early 20th century painted sign for the Co-Operative Wholesale Society. This would have originally been mounted at the top of a cabinet or display stand, used for dispensing packets of their flower and vegetable seeds. Screen-printed typography with hand-painted embellishment, on a fret-cut panel of plywood. Slightly 'bowed' but otherwise in remarkable condition for its age.
The Co-Operative Wholesale Society was formed in 1863. By 1900 it established a large Flour Mill at Silvertown, on the North bank of the Thames, covering 5 acres. This location with its combined road, rail and river transport facilities became the flagship for the C. W. S. brand.
NOW SOLD - Vintage C. W. S. Painted Seeds Sign
Dimensions (h x w)
26 x 75cm